The 85th Annual Meeting of the Japan Sociological Society (JSS)
Sapporo Gakuin University, Sapporo, Japan / November 3-4, 2012
Travel Grant for Starting Scholars from Overseas
Application Deadline: May 5, 2012
The International Liaison Committee of the Japan Sociological Society (JSS) is pleased to announce its sixth annual Travel Grant competition for starting scholars living outside of Japan. The objective of this grant is to support up to 6 international sociologists who will present papers and participate in the JSS annual meeting in Japan. Each scholar selected will be awarded 80,000 yen to support accommodation and travel expenses.
1. Eligibility requirements:
To be eligible for support, the international applicant must:
Although the competition is open to any starting scholars meeting the eligibility requirements above, a preference is given to Asian citizens currently living in Asia (excluding Japan, as mentioned above) and first-time applicants.
- (1) be currently living and working (or studying, if the applicant is a graduate student) outside of Japan. Scholars living in Japan, Japanese citizens, and permanent residents of Japan are NOT eligible to apply.
- (2) hold a master's degree or higher obtained within the past ten years as of May 2012 (the date of deadline).
- (3) hold a membership in their country's national sociological association (or equivalent scholarly association).
* Please note that in order to receive the grant, selected awardees must be able and willing to submit the following three items:
Grant winners will be exempt from the annual conference fee as well as the JSS membership fee for the first year. Each awardee will make a 15-minute presentation at a session either in English or Japanese.
- (a) a letter agreeing to participate in the conference,
- (b) a membership application for the JSS, and
- (c) a travel itinerary and air-ticket stubs.
All applicants must send the JSS office the following three items:
Submit Items 2 and 3 using the JSS format.
- (1) an application form for the Travel Grant,
- (2) a one-page abstract of his/her presentation (300 English words or 1000 Japanese characters), and
- (3) a two-page detailed summary of his/her presenting paper.
For more information about the annual meeting and the format, please visit:
3. Access to the JSS 85th Annual Meeting Venue:
Sapporo Gakuin University
Address: 1-1 Bunkyodai Ebetsu, Hokkaido 069-8555 JAPAN
Sapporo Gakuin University, the JSS 85th annual meeting venue, is located in the suburb of Sapporo. The closest international airport is New Chitose Airport. From other cities in Japan, take trains to Sapporo Station. It should take approximately 70 minutes from the airport to the venue.
New Chitose Airport → Sapporo Station → Oasa Station → Sapporo Gakuin University
Sapporo Station --------------------→ Sapporo Gakuin University
From New Chitose Airport to Sapporo Gakuin University via Sapporo Station
The most convenient way to the venue from the airport is to take a train to Sapporo Station. From the station, take either a local train or cab to the university.
From New Chitose Airport to Sapporo Station
By Japan Railway (JR) Rapid Train (35 minutes, 1040 yen)
Take a JR Rapid Airport Train to Sapporo Station.
From Sapporo Station to Sapporo Gakuin University
By Local Train (15 min., 260 yen)
Transfer to JR Hakodate Line to Oasa Station. Take a walk (13 min.)
or a cab (7 min., 1,000 yen) to the University.
By Cab (30 min., 5,000 yen)
*The time and cost in the parentheses above are approximate estimates.
For more information, please check:
New Chitose Airport http://www.new-chitose-airport.jp/en/
JR Rapid Airport Train http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/train/tr020_01.html
4. Application Deadline:
May 5, 2012, 23:59 (Tokyo, GMT+9:00) by e-mail
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline. Decisions will be announced to the applicants by June 4, 2012.
Questions? Email: email@example.com
[ Return to top page ]